Home About the Project In The News How to Donate Links of Interest Picture Album Volunteer Form Past EventsBook Slide Shows

Fugitive Slave Chapel Preservation Project

Picture Gallery

Click here for Videos

  • The Fugitive Slave Chapel

    This is a grainy print of the picture and caption that appeared in the London Advertiser May 8, 1926.

    Fugitive Slave Chapel of London.
    Above is the original African Methodist Episcopal Church at No. 275
    Thames Street as it appears today. The little frame building played an interesting role in the fight to
    release from slavery the negroes of Southern United States.

    Veiw Full Size
  • circa 1853 to 1860

    This image is a direct scan from the personal archives of Joe O'Neil who has given us permission to use it, and is an original colour lithograph taken from a book and framed (but not by Mr. O'Neil). It shows the exact area of where the original Slave Chapel sits. He cannot pin down the exact date, but it is circa 1853 to 1860ish. Cannot be before 1853, as there was no railroad then.

    Veiw Full Size
  • circa 1853 to 1860

    This image is a direct scan from the personal archives of Joe O'Neil who has given us permission to use it, and is an original colour lithograph taken from a book and framed (but not by Mr. O'Neil). It shows the exact area of where the original Slave Chapel sits. In fact, if he is not mistaken, on this lithograph it sure looks like the chapel sitting there all by itself. We cannot prove it, but it sure fits. He cannot pin down the exact date, but it is circa 1853 to 1860ish. Cannot be before 1853, as there was no railroad then.

    Veiw Full Size
  • Plaque Unveiling Ceremony in 1986

    These pictures are copyrighted by London Free Press Collection of Photographic Negatives,
    The University of Western Ontario Archives, Aug. 11, 1986.
    Thanks go to Barry Arnott & Theresa Regnier of the Western Archives.
    Used with permission, do not copy

    Veiw Full Size
  • Plaque Unveiling Ceremony in 1986

    These pictures are copyrighted by London Free Press Collection of Photographic Negatives,
    The University of Western Ontario Archives, Aug. 11, 1986.
    Thanks go to Barry Arnott & Theresa Regnier of the Western Archives.
    Used with permission, do not copy

    Veiw Full Size
  • Plaque Unveiling Ceremony in 1986

    These pictures are copyrighted by London Free Press Collection of Photographic Negatives,
    The University of Western Ontario Archives, Aug. 11, 1986.
    Thanks go to Barry Arnott & Theresa Regnier of the Western Archives.
    Used with permission, do not copy

    Veiw Full Size
  • Plaque Unveiling Ceremony in 1986

    These pictures are copyrighted by London Free Press Collection of Photographic Negatives,
    The University of Western Ontario Archives, Aug. 11, 1986.
    Thanks go to Barry Arnott & Theresa Regnier of the Western Archives.
    Used with permission, do not copy

    Veiw Full Size
  • Plaque Unveiling Ceremony in 1986

    These pictures are copyrighted by London Free Press Collection of Photographic Negatives,
    The University of Western Ontario Archives, Aug. 11, 1986.
    Thanks go to Barry Arnott & Theresa Regnier of the Western Archives.
    Used with permission, do not copy

    Veiw Full Size
  • Plaque Unveiling Ceremony in 1986

    These pictures are copyrighted by London Free Press Collection of Photographic Negatives,
    The University of Western Ontario Archives, Aug. 11, 1986.
    Thanks go to Barry Arnott & Theresa Regnier of the Western Archives.
    Used with permission, do not copy

    Veiw Full Size
  • As it appears today

    Photograph by George McNeish

    Veiw Full Size

Click for Pictures of Fundraiser by Joe O'Neil
Click for Pictures of Stage 3 dig by Robert Cory

Plaque Unveiling Ceremony in 1986

These pictures are copyrighted by
London Free Press Collection of Photographic Negatives,
The University of Western Ontario Archives, Aug. 11, 1986.
Thanks go to Barry Arnott & Theresa Regnier of the Western Archives.
Used with permission, do not copy

click on picture to see full size
plaque unveiling ceremony in 1986 plaque unveiling ceremony in 1986 plaque unveiling ceremony in 1986 plaque unveiling ceremony in 1986
plaque unveiling ceremony in 1986 plaque unveiling ceremony in 1986

Photo from the 1897 edition of Illustrated London By Archie Bremner

View from Wortley Road 1897
The photographic view is from Wortley Rd. It includes our site on Thames St. The camera is facing north east. The large building with the chimney is the powerhouse for the London Street Railway. Thames St. is to the right of this building. Detail below.
View from Wortley Road 1897
panorama of the Hollow

Other Photos

African Episcopal Church, Oro 1849-1949

This Church was built in a simular style to the Thames St Chapel

© Fred Landon Fonds, Western Archives, Western University.

Contact Us

General inquiries or comments
Contact Web Master
Tell a friend

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Page Design by
DIGITAL REPRODUCTIONS
web design